Recommendations for Teachers
Signing in to your Zoom Account (Only require one time)
You can set your defaults for all meetings you create. You will only have to do this once.
- In a web browser, go to zoom.us, sign in, then click on "My Account" in the upper right corner.
- If you are creating an account, we recommend using "Login with Google" and your @redclayschools.com account.
On the left side of the screen click "Settings":
- "Mute Participants upon entry" - turn ON
- "Chat" and "Private chat" - decide whether you want those ON or OFF
- "Auto saving chats" - turn ON
- "Allow host to put attendee on hold" - turn ON
- "Screen sharing" - set to HOST ONLY
- "Annotation" and "Whiteboard" - decide whether you want those ON or OFF
- "Breakout room" - turn this ON; check "Allow host to assign participants"
- "Closed captioning" and "Save Captions" - decide whether you want those ON or OFF
- "Virtual background" - decide whether you want this ON or OFF
- "Attention tracking", "Waiting room", "Show a 'Join from your browser' link" - turn these ON
BEFORE THE ZOOM SESSION
The waiting room allows you to screen students' usernames prior to letting them into the session. If you see an inappropriate name or a name you don't recognize, don't let them in. You can message the student(s) in the waiting room, admit them, or remove them.
DURING THE ZOOM SESSION
Within an active meeting, use the buttons across the bottom to change default options if you wish.
You might want to allow students to unmute themselves.
"Lock Meeting" prevents anyone else from joining, beyond those already in the meeting.
You probably will want to allow chats either with "Host Only" or "Everyone Publicly". You can change this on the fly, to allow chatting only at certain times, if you wish.
AFTER THE MEETING
- On a PC, they are saved in the "zoom" folder within the "Documents" folder; the folder opens automatically at the end of the session.